Places to visit

Where to stay

Where to eat


Dabas parks "Bernāti"Nature park „Bernāti”

Natura 2000 site – European protected nature area. The total area of the nature park is 2935 ha – 732 ha of them are land, the rest – the sea. The sea shore with its fine white sand, dunes and pine forest attracts visitors in winter to enjoy walks along the forest paths covered with snow; they race downhill by sledges or cross-country skis and explore the wooded dune trails and paths. Whereas in summer everyone is happy about the broad beach where to enjoy sunbathing and swimming in the sea. 


J.Čakstes piem.akmensvalters_pelns_foto-175The commemorative stone to the first President of Latvia Jānis Čakste (1922-1927)

Nīca parish, Bernāti, in the territory of nature park “Bernāti”

When J. Čakste was visiting Liepaja in 1924, he arrived also in Bernati. He praised this place shortly: „There must be a resort here!” In two years – on the 23rd of May, 1926 in Bernāti the resort foundation stone was unveiled where these words are engraved. 


111Boundary mark „Zaļais stars” (“Green beam”)

Nīca parish, Bernāti, in the territory of nature park “Bernāti”

Boundary mark is located in the most distant western point of Latvia in Nīca parish, Bernāti. It is one of the four granite sculptures made by Vilnis Titāns which were installed in all the furthest land points in Latvia in 1998 to commemorate Latvia’s 80th anniversary. The composition of all these stones is based on the motive of the Sun. 


123Pūsēnu hill – the highest dune in Latvia

Nīca parish, Jūrmalciems, in the territory of nature park “Bernāti”

Pūsēnu hill (37m above sea level) is located in the South of nature park “Bernāti”. Since the 17th century due to the deforestation of pine trees, dunes started a travelling process that reached extremely dangerous amounts between  the years 1785 and 1835, when several houses disappeared under the sand including the farmstead „Pūsēni”. That is how the high dune got its name. To stop this disastrous process large scale reforestation of dunes was carried out. 

Savvaljas zaledaji_valters_pelns_foto-39Large wild herbivores

Nīca parish, Kalnišķi, phone  +371 26693867

In 1999 the World Wildlife fund brought the first 18 wild horses, at the beginning of 2004 they brought 23 aurochs and 5 European bisons. Living on grass, shrubs, reeds and barks they ensure the existence of an open landscape.  The animals live in the wild, in a fenced area. See the  WWF webpage

Excursions (1 hour long) to visit horses and aurochs are available with a guide. Working hours:  10:00-18:00 (June-September), the rest of the year – by prior arrangement.


skaistie darzi_valters_pelns_foto-24The beautiful gardens of Nīca

Telephone number for excursions +371 63489501; +371 29458532                      


Excursions to the beautiful gardens of Nīca are organized from May to October. Excursions are planned individually for each group, so be sure to arrange it in advance. Pfoto Video


IMG_6815The Bārta River and the Tosele River

Nīca and Otaņķi parishes

Fishing and boat trips. More info on different offers:


usini 1Ezerskola sacrificial boulder

Nīca parish, Kalnišķi, 

It is an ancient place of worship. The stone lies in the junction of nine underground waters in the old park of Ezerskola manor.


007The commemorative stone for the victims of Soviet terror

Nīca parish, in the centre of Nīca Park

On the 25th of March, 1940 240 people from the entire county were brought to the park in Nīca – both old and young, families with small children as well; and afterwards they were put in railway wagons and sent from Tore station in Grobiņa on a long and torturous journey to Siberia in Russia.


234Nīca storeroom of antiquities

Nīca parish, the centre of Nīca, phone numbers: +371 63469119; +371 63489501; +371 29458532

It was established in 2010. There you will find more than a century old different elements of Nīca national costume. The rich contents of ancient dowry chest show the old traditions in doing fancyworks – there you will see hand woven blankets, towels, table cloths, different embroideries, as well as different old knitwear with traditional elements – mittens and socks. There are 2 pairs of socks which are really special; they are the exact copies of socks that were presented to our presidents when they visited Nīca – Vaira Vīķe-Freiberga in 2006 and Valdis Zatlers in 2010. You will also find different ancient household items and tools, as well as historical books. Regular photo exhibitions are organized to show detailed and interesting information about the county’s history. The exposition’s organiser will tell you about all the items and their history with pleasure. Video


IMG_2135Exposition „Jūrmalnieku senatne”

Nīca parish, Jūrmalciems „Smaragda”, phone number +371 26461735, by prior arrangement

It is possible to look at fishermen’s old household items and tools and to get to know more about the use of them and about the history of this old fishermen’s village.

Admission by donation Video


173_NICA_foto_J_Vecbralis_www_SBAart_lvPrenclava windmill

Otaņķi parish, Rude, phone number +371 26051129

Prenclava windmill was built in 1885 after the Dutch windmill pattern by Johans Ernests Rūdolfs Prenclavs. His origins were German. Since the 1990s the mill owners are Prenclavi descendents Pārsla and Arnis Kupši. Prenclavu windmill is one of the largest windmills in Latvia. There are 6 floors and 4 pairs of grinding stones. The windmill is the architectural monument in Latvia. Video


073Rogu family private collections

Nīca parish, Nīca, „Upmalas”, phone numbers +371 29358190; +371 26176908, by prior arrangement.

There is a collection of cars, motorcycles and about 600 presentation pens. Admission by donation Video


047Nīca Lutheran church ( 1851)

Nīca parish, Nīca, +371 63469789, +371 63469292, +371 28639552 (10ºº-18ºº), by prior arrangement

The church was built from 1849 to 1851 according to the project by Courland’s architect F.Šulcs. In April of 1945 the tower was blown up. In the post-war years the restoration of the church and its interior was begun. On the 21st of May, 1961 the church was closed down, the church activities were suspended. Until the end of the 1980s the church was used as a gym. In 1990 the congregation regained the church. On the 15th of May, 1940 the church bell was consecrated. The money to make the bell was received from Latvia’s former president Kārlis Ulmanis.